Well, it’s a New Year! The kids are back in school, winter finally decided to show up by punching the Northeast in the face with some snow and below freezing temperatures, and I’m trying (unsuccessfully) to get my house put back together.
Along with all of that, the New Year is also a time for, you guessed it – resolutions! I never really made New Year’s resolutions before I became a Mother, so I don’t really see the point of making any now. I mean, if I couldn’t find the time to kick myself in the behind when I was single, what chance do I have with kids?
Trying to come up with a New Year’s resolution, but so far I can only think of things my kids need to work on.
— the Mom TruthBomb (@momTruthBomb) December 29, 2015
But in the interest of bettering myself, reducing the stress in my life, and the hope that it makes for a funny blog post, what the hell?!
So, here is a list of somewhat reasonable resolutions* I made for myself this year:
- Stop yelling so much.
- Let my children resolve their own disputes over completely imaginary and hypothetical scenarios.
- Actually fold the laundry right when it comes out of the dryer.
- Take food out of the freezer to defrost more than 20 minutes before I plan on cooking it.
- Set aside a little “me” time every day.
- Make the kids lunches the night before.
- Stop hiding in the pantry stuffing my face with food just so no one asks me, “What are you eating?”
- Wake up earlier so I’m not rushing out the door every single morning.
- Tidy up every night before going to bed so that I can wake up to a nice, clean house each morning.
- Stop using the internet to procrastinate.
And there you have it! A list of easy and completely reasonable things I can do to help make this year wonderful and stress-free. Wish me luck and have a happy, healthy New Year!
*I have already broken all of these resolutions.