Keeping a house clean when you have children is no small feat. Of all the things I have to do to keep my house clean, washing the dishes is one of my least favorite. Next to laundry, of course. And sweeping, and cleaning the bathroom, and vacuuming. And we can’t forget dusting. Ugh, dusting is the WORST!
Anyway, today we will be focusing on washing the dishes. I’ve devised a simple 20-step guide to emptying that sink each and every day. So let’s get washing!
1. Get hot water running and a soapy sponge.
2. Rinse dishes to go into dishwasher.
3. Open dishwasher and see that it is full of clean dishes.
4. Curse yourself for not emptying it sooner.
5. Empty dishwasher.
6. Fill dishwasher with new dirty dishes.
7. Hand-wash all remaining items that can’t go in dishwasher.
8. Let out a sigh of relief when done.
9. Turn around and see pots and pans on stove.
10. Curse yourself for forgetting about them again.
11. Put dirty pots and pans in sink and fill with hot, soapy water.
12. Let pots and pans soak while you help kids finish their homework, put in a load of laundry, get kids ready for bed, etc.
13. Forget about pots and pans. Go to bed.
14. Wake up to find pots and pans in sink.
15. Curse yourself.
16. Dump out now cold water from pots and pans and refill with hot, soapy water.
17. Pile breakfast, lunch, & snack dishes on top of soaking pots and pans throughout the day.
18. In the evening, realize that you need the pots and pans in the sink to prepare dinner.
19. Dig out pots and pans from beneath dirty dishes; scrub, dry, and use them to make dinner.
20. Repeat steps 1 – 19.
So there you have it. An easy to follow, step-by-step guide* for tackling those pesky dishes. Be sure to check back with me for more time-saving tips to make your home beautiful, like this one on home decor!
*Do not follow this guide. It will make your life miserable. My real guide for keeping your sink empty is ordering take-out and using paper plates for the rest of your life, but since neither of these are sustainable solutions, my advice to you is don’t be lazy like I am and just wash the damn dishes!